2022 Volkswagen Taos revealed with in-betweener compact size and rugged styling cues - Page 3
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by Egz View Post
      Ah, the Ford marketing model.
      I sincerely doubt this thing will be as cynical and ****ty as the Ecosport. Pretty much every Ecosport competitor is like 300-400% better just by not being an ancient "developing market" POS.
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      For those wondering about the size:

L x W x H // WB

VW T-Roc (not sold in the US) 166.7" x 71.6" x 61.9" // 102.0"

VW Taos 174.2" x 72.5" x 64.3" // 105.5"

VW Tiguan SWB (not sold in the US) 176.6" x 72.4" x 65.9" // 105.6"

Taos and Tiguan SWB is almost the same size but not quite.

Taos and Tiguan are exactly on the same segment. They have the same WB and are very similar in every other dimension. The T-Roc is the one on a different segment.

I don´t believe that costs were the prime reason that drove the decision to produce the Taos instead of the SWB Tiguan. They ride on the same platform, have the same dimensions and the current Tiguan isn't exactly premium in terms of fit and finish. Cost cuttings that were made in the Taos, like torsion beam on FWD versions, could also be applied on the Tiguan. The SWB Tiguan would even benefit from savings from sharing most parts with the LWB version.

I think that VW choose the Taos because they wanted to have 2 separeted CUV familys, so the positioning of each one would be clearer in the market. Other brands are doing the same (Compass/Cherokee, Eclipse Cross/Outlander, Corolla Cross/Rav4, Bronco/Escape...).

Whats rugged about this...
      Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
      Cheapest way to 9s is to buy someone else's 8 second car, then drive it yourself.
      Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
      Elevation down two clicks, windage left two clicks. Send it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stangy View Post
      Whats rugged about this...
      the STYLING CUES!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2 doors View Post
      the STYLING CUES!!!!!!!
      Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
      Cheapest way to 9s is to buy someone else's 8 second car, then drive it yourself.
      Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
      Elevation down two clicks, windage left two clicks. Send it.

VW has so many SUVs that all look the same and have ridiculous names.

exactly the car nobody asked for .. meanwhile RSQ3, Tiguan R, and a few others that I can think of we'd love to have here ... who the hell wants 1.4L slowboxes when that market is already saturated by the likes of Nissan, Honda, Toyota ... dafuq VW .. stand the F out .. not just on CEL.

/end rant.
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T | '12 R 2.0T | '16 R 2.0T | '17 R 2.0T | '18 RS3 2.5T | '13 TTRS 2.5T | '04 R32 3.2 |
      VW/Audi Installation YT Vids: Schwabo

Quote Originally Posted by tejlab View Post
      VW has so many SUVs
      Not really. In the US, there's basically just two...Tiguan and Atlas. Not counting the Altas CrossSport as a separate one since it's 95% the same as the Atlas from which it's derived and is just a styling variant. VW not having at least S-M-L sizes covered in the US is totally laughable, but when has VW ever NOT been late to the party by MANY years? Oh, and also not counting the ID.4 yet either since you can't just walk into a dealer and find one. For all intents and purposes, they don't have it.

that all look the same and have ridiculous names.
      Names aren't necessarily a deal breaker, but yes they all look the same. That's not always a bad thing for brand identity, but VW's design language of the US-market SUVs are all based on a language that is five years old and it's time to move on, yet in another year from now we'll be getting one more that speaks the same aesthetic. Granted it's an understated design language that will keep it from looking downright ugly, but after several years of its handsome blandness, it should be no wonder why another "new" SUV wearing the same clothing induces total yawns rather than excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by SCHWAB0 View Post
      exactly the car nobody asked for .. meanwhile RSQ3, Tiguan R, and a few others that I can think of we'd love to have here ... who the hell wants 1.4L slowboxes when that market is already saturated by the likes of Nissan, Honda, Toyota ... dafuq VW .. stand the F out .. not just on CEL.

/end rant.
      Kinda disagree. VW does need to fill this segment here (smaller than the Tiguan "BigYawn" <----ooooh you heard it here first!), but they really need to do something so much less bland and recycled looking.

VW has so many SUVs that all look the same and have ridiculous names.
      Gotta confuse the consumer, right babe?
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

Quote Originally Posted by burgerbob View Post
      To the idea of GTI/R model VW CUV's, do you think they worry about cannibalizing Audi SQx sales? I can't imagine someone shopping an SQ5 or SQ3 looking at a Taos GTI or Tiguan R at the same time.
      Not a snowball's chance in hell.

I owned a Golf R, I'm now in an Audi.

I'm generally a fan of both brands, but if my wife who prefers SUVs needed a new car we're not cross shopping an Atlas with a Q7 or a Tiguan with a Q3. I'd skip VW entirely in these segments (right now).
      2019 Audi A5 - back to the brand after 28 years
      2017 Golf Alltrack SEL+Tech - Son #1. In a galaxy far, far away
      2014 Dodge Durango Limited AWD - Wife's
      2004 Acura TSX - Son #2. The sax-mobile
      1967 Chevrolet Corvette - I promise to get this car back on the road in 2018....

Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      I swear more and more of these German CUV's are looking more Asian

If you took the badge off this car I would have sworn it's a Suzuki or a Hyundai/Kia
      Yet other responses to this thread have complained the Taos is too predictably stereotypical VW CUV (like the Atlas and Tiguan).

This could look better if you throw some bigger offroad type tires on itt, add a brush guard and maybe some lights on top?

It's for people that complained the old Tiguan is too small and the new Tiguan is too big

So VW said f it, we'll just give them something like a SWB Tiguan with different styling and a new name
      Last edited by BsickPassat; 10-15-2020 at 10:29 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jezza
      Power and Speed solves many things
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      APR Stage 1/DDM Tuning Ultra HID 5500K/Neuspeed P-flo/AEM Dryflow BruteForce filter

Quote Originally Posted by BsickPassat View Post
      It's for people that complained the old Tiguan is too small and the new Tiguan is too big

So VW said f it, we'll just give them something like a SWB Tiguan with different styling and a new name
      And keep it underpowered...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
      '17 4Motion GSW, IS38, APR Tune, AWE DP, Uni IC, AFE Magnum;[email protected], 1.98 60'

VW has nailed the styling of the Jeep Grand Cherokee from the early 2000s in this, the Touraeg and the Atlas.
      1989 Jetta GLX 16V | 2001 VW GTI 1.8T | 2005 Porsche Boxster 2.7 | 2006 VW GTI 1.8T | 2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 | 2014 Porsche 911 3.6 | 2017 VW Golf R 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by gti_matt View Post
      Not really. In the US, there's basically just two...Tiguan and Atlas. Not counting the Altas CrossSport as a separate one since it's 95% the same as the Atlas from which it's derived and is just a styling variant. VW not having at least S-M-L sizes covered in the US is totally laughable, but when has VW ever NOT been late to the party by MANY years? Oh, and also not counting the ID.4 yet either since you can't just walk into a dealer and find one. For all intents and purposes, they don't have it.

Names aren't necessarily a deal breaker, but yes they all look the same. That's not always a bad thing for brand identity, but VW's design language of the US-market SUVs are all based on a language that is five years old and it's time to move on, yet in another year from now we'll be getting one more that speaks the same aesthetic. Granted it's an understated design language that will keep it from looking downright ugly, but after several years of its handsome blandness, it should be no wonder why another "new" SUV wearing the same clothing induces total yawns rather than excitement.
      If you include the Asian markets there's the T-cross, T-Roc, Taos, Tiguan, that horrific Tiguan X coupe thing, Atlas, Atlas Cross Sport, Touareg, Tayron, and Tayron X.

They all literally look the same and have ridiculous names that for some reason start with T including the asian variant of the Atlas (Teramont).
      Last edited by tejlab; 10-16-2020 at 02:31 AM.

Live pics of an argentinian-spec Taos:

If you include the Asian markets there's the T-cross, T-Roc, Taos, Tiguan, that horrific Tiguan X coupe thing, Atlas, Atlas Cross Sport, Touareg, Tayron, and Tayron X.

They all literally look the same and have ridiculous names that for some reason start with T including the asian variant of the Atlas (Teramont).
      VW Group has 38 SUV models available worldwide. That's more than any other manufacturer, by far.

Kidna irrelevant. This thread is about the 2022 Taos being new to market and in markets where it's new, like the US, we've just two SUVs currently.

Whoaaaaa it's so rugged styled, can't wait to build one up for overlanding.

Quote Originally Posted by A_GaSpAr View Post
      Live pics of an argentinian-spec Taos:
      250 TSI? What engine does that come with?
      TIL Motor oil doesn't come from motors.

Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      250 TSI? What engine does that come with?
      1.4L Turbo. I think the 250 refers to the N-m

Quote Originally Posted by Hajduk View Post
      1.4L Turbo. I think the 250 refers to the N-m
      I thought Taos has the new 1.5?

I think they have a hit here as it will definitely bring some fresh blood into the VW Group fold.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast