2022 Acura MDX Prototype revealed - Page 3
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
      The X5/GLE/Q7/XC90 are all competitors in this space. I can't speak for the GLE but the X5's 3rd row feels roomier than the Q7s and works just as well for my needs as the XC90's 3rd row did. From the press release for the MDX, it didn't make it sound like 3rd row space was improved but the length increase allowed them to give it more cargo area behind the 3rd row so that it could more easily fit a stroller.
      I’m sorry but that X5 third row is basically a jump seat compared to say an XC90 (which is more in line with the MDX).

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Do we have close up pics of the new MDX 3rd row?

I'm so torn on these 3 row crossovers. To me if there's a 3rd row it should be comfortable for fully grown adults on a long road trip. Otherwise what's the point?
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Do we have close up pics of the new MDX 3rd row?

I'm so torn on these 3 row crossovers. To me if there's a 3rd row it should be comfortable for fully grown adults on a long road trip. Otherwise what's the point?
      What? That’s a silly metric. Most of these are for taking an extra kid or two for a ride (or I guess if you’re hauling your own 3+ kids but hats really for minivans). On what planet are 5-6 fully grown adults getting in an SUV?
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      What? That’s a silly metric. Most of these are for taking an extra kid or two for a ride (or I guess if you’re hauling your own 3+ kids but hats really for minivans). On what planet are 5-6 fully grown adults getting in an SUV?
      My 2 kids are in car seats, so they would be in the middle row. Grandma etc. would have to go to the 3rd row. I think that's a pretty normal situation for people with young kids.
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

My 2 kids are in car seats, so they would be in the middle row. Grandma etc. would have to go to the 3rd row. I think that's a pretty normal situation for people with young kids.
      My parents are in their mid 60s no way they’re crawling into the way back of anything.

My oldest is 8 (and tall) so no car seat for her. We can throw the 3y/o and her car seat all the way in the back as needed. But honestly we just take two cars most of the time.
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Yeah, the third row in our Highlander isn't a perfect solution with a 2-year-old. If we need to take more than four, some poor adult is suffering in the 2/3 scale third row. The floor is so high and the seat is so thin that it is really just a jump seat.

Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      I’m sorry but that X5 third row is basically a jump seat compared to say an XC90 (which is more in line with the MDX).

https://cdn.bmwblog.com/wp-content/u...-7-seats-6.jpg https://images.caricos.com/v/volvo/2...2_1280x960.jpg
      There's negligible difference between the 3rd row room in the XC90 and X5, they both have plenty of space for my children to ride in when grandma and grandpa visit. The Q7 is actually the tightest fitting of them all because of the lack of leg room and one of the biggest reasons I choose the XC90 over it when they both were new models.
      21 BMW X5 xDrive40i
      20 BMW M2 CS
      19 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4 6MT JCW Tuning Kit

My parents are in their mid 60s no way they’re crawling into the way back of anything.

My oldest is 8 (and tall) so no car seat for her. We can throw the 3y/o and her car seat all the way in the back as needed. But honestly we just take two cars most of the time.
      OK, that's your situation. It's not everybody's. I have a 3 year old and an infant, and all their grandparents are OK to crawl in the back. I'm sure there are plenty of situations like both of ours, so people will need different things.

Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room. Metallitubby's Avatar
      I'm sure there are plenty of situations like both of ours, so people will need different things.
      No. You are required to have an Odyssey. An Odyssey with as much spilled milk, grapes, and stale Cheerios on the floor as possible.
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

There's negligible difference between the 3rd row room in the XC90 and X5, they both have plenty of space for my children to ride in when grandma and grandpa visit. The Q7 is actually the tightest fitting of them all because of the lack of leg room and one of the biggest reasons I choose the XC90 over it when they both were new models.
      Having sat in all three, I agree about the Q7- it is pretty horrendous and the bottom cushion is just awkward. However, I disagree about the X5 vs XC90. The XC90 I could actually fit in at 6’, the X5 I could not fit in the third row even with the second row moved forward. You can even see how cramped it is with the way the windows are as well. The XC90 has a full third row glass area, whereas the X5 is a small glass and mostly D-Pillar setup.

Maybe a small child will fit without incident, but the point is that there is a difference between the two from an everyday usability standpoint. I can’t just throw friends in the third row of an X5, but I can throw them in the third row of an XC90.

Having sat in all three, I agree about the Q7- it is pretty horrendous and the bottom cushion is just awkward. However, I disagree about the X5 vs XC90. The XC90 I could actually fit in at 6’, the X5 I could not fit in the third row even with the second row moved forward. You can even see how cramped it is with the way the windows are as well. The XC90 has a full third row glass area, whereas the X5 is a small glass and mostly D-Pillar setup.

Maybe a small child will fit without incident, but the point is that there is a difference between the two from an everyday usability standpoint. I can’t just throw friends in the third row of an X5, but I can throw them in the third row of an XC90.
      In the 4 years I owned my XC90, besides me climbing into the back to test it out, no other adults ever got back there. In the new X5, I don't anticipate any adults ever sitting back there either but I fit in the back just as well as I did in the XC90. I did have 5'3" adult in the back of my 2nd gen MDX for a road trip, but I'd never ask them to do it again. That was even tighter than either the XC90 or the X5.

Adults can ride in the 2nd row and children can ride in the 3rd. If I'm planning on going somewhere with 5 or 6 other adults, one of them can drive their own car.

Either way, it's going to require a lot more than a slightly more spacious 3rd row for Acura to get me to buy another MDX. They went from being at the top of class with the 2007 model release to making slightly nicer Hondas for the past 10 years. At least the new Type S appears be a step in the right direction.
      21 BMW X5 xDrive40i
      20 BMW M2 CS

In the 4 years I owned my XC90, besides me climbing into the back to test it out, no other adults ever got back there. In the new X5, I don't anticipate any adults ever sitting back there either but I fit in the back just as well as I did in the XC90. I did have 5'3" adult in the back of my 2nd gen MDX for a road trip, but I'd never ask them to do it again. That was even tighter than either the XC90 or the X5.

Adults can ride in the 2nd row and children can ride in the 3rd. If I'm planning on going somewhere with 5 or 6 other adults, one of them can drive their own car.

Either way, it's going to require a lot more than a slightly more spacious 3rd row for Acura to get me to buy another MDX. They went from being at the top of class with the 2007 model release to making slightly nicer Hondas for the past 10 years. At least the new Type S appears be a step in the right direction.
      I just can’t dignify that the MDX has a smaller third row than an X5. But I can get on board that the MDX has gone down hill and am hoping that the new one answers the call.

I think it looks really great. Possibly the best Acura overall in years. The interior looks properly upscale in a way the new TLX can't seem to pull off.

One random observation: The front emblem is 3-4x the size of the rear emblem. Not that it matters since you can't see both at the same time, but it is odd.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
      2016 Hyundai Tucson Limited AWD
      2015 Kia Soul + Special Edition

Love one another

Quote Originally Posted by BLK9GEN View Post
      One random observation: The front emblem is 3-4x the size of the rear emblem.
      All of the active safety cameras are in the emblem. More space for tech was needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Deflated_97.1 View Post
      I love that this heritage shot of all MDX generations looks highly unremarkable. Every Costco/strip-mall parking lot across the US, at anytime is filled with MDX's .

I suppose that's the only remarkable thing about MDX's. They still exist and outlived their BMW X5 and Mercedes ML equivalents.

Every generation looked very attractive. Gen 1 looks like it could roll off assembly lines today.

I feel like it has more of a Volvo thing going for it

And have seen the prices of a Volvo lately??

Quote Originally Posted by MmmDonuts View Post
      And have seen the prices of a Volvo lately??
      Are Volvo prices real or “aspirational” like US truck prices?

Are Volvo prices real or “aspirational” like US truck prices?
      FlyVolvo used to have the OSD pricing listed, that was about as good as you could get. Anywhere from 5-10% off is a good deal unless it's a leftover model.
      21 BMW X5 xDrive40i
      20 BMW M2 CS

Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      All of the active safety cameras are in the emblem. More space for tech was needed.
      I understand that. My issue is really with the rear emblem as it looks positively diminutive by modern car standards. I realize there is a styling crease on the rear hatch, but the scale of the emblem is all wrong and looks like an afterthought.

Just my $0.02. At the end of the day I still like the vehicle.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
      2016 Hyundai Tucson Limited AWD
      2015 Kia Soul + Special Edition

Love one another

Quote Originally Posted by scosmoss View Post
      Every generation looked very attractive. Gen 1 looks like it could roll off assembly lines today.

There's no doubt about the MDX's attractiveness. Since it's Acura's bread-and-butter sales gem, they don't mess around.

However, that beauty has drawbacks, because its sales success has clearly lead to commonality. They're just too common sighted.

Quote Originally Posted by Deflated_97.1 View Post
      There's no doubt about the MDX's attractiveness. Since it's Acura's bread-and-butter sales gem, they don't mess around.

However, that beauty has drawbacks, because its sales success has clearly lead to commonality. They're just too common sighted.
      I'd prefer something more unique for myself but if each of these sold means possibly not having to look at another X7 or German SUC then I consider every MDX sale a win for mankind.

If this thing comes in matte, I am going to seriously consider getting one.

If this thing comes in matte, I am going to seriously consider getting one.
      There will be a couple different colors in matte. There will be a few other options once the PMC/S model arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      There will be a couple different colors in matte. There will be a few other options once the PMC/S model arrives.
      what I like to hear

Acura should sell a boatload of these. Figured they might go 2.0T/10AT as the base powertrain but the 3.5/10AT should be a great pairing. Might be in the market to lease a "base" MDX when these come out.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast