VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Sacrilegious or Stupendous? My first FWD-based performance hatchback thingy purchase

Sacrilegious or Stupendous? My first FWD-based performance hatchback thingy purchase!

6K views 106 replies 53 participants last post by  Uber Wagon 
#1 · (Edited)
So after much discussion with fellow TCLers and TFLers, I decided to get me the first FWD, Transeverly mounted engine, quasi-CUV BMW. I've had RWD based BMWs before this, but this one takes the cake.

Introducing Uber Wagon's 2020 X2 M35i.

Pros

-Sounds exhilarating
-Drives well
-Tenacious grip
-Faster than 302hp rating suggests
-Most powerful 4-cylinder in BMW lineup
-Looks and feels angry all the time
-Steering feedback (yes, steering feedback!)
-Small turning circle
-Hatchback versatility
-Limited slip differential (first front LSD from BMW)

Cons

-Exhilarating sounds can get tiring
-Rides stiffer than Focus RS
-No manuel option
-Looks and feels angry all the time, scares small dogs and children
-Ginormous blind spots yet no blind spot detection available
-Slight understeer at the limits (very slight)
-Backseat has no headroom
-Cargo space is laughable
-Identity crisis: is it a hot hatch or a bonafide CUV?

Verdict

Uber Wagon trades in Audi S3 for an updated and more powerful S3 with a backpack.

I am so excited. This car is fun to drive, good on fuel, and has exclusivity.

Since this is Uber Wagon's post. I'm gonna make it a poll! Let me know what you guys think of my new ride. I'll post more pics.:beer:

Bagel pic

See less See more
#12 ·
There are a bunch of styling cues I like about this.

- the wheels look good
- the black painted lower trim pieces add some sporty looks
- I dig the emblem on the C pillar
- the painted mirrors are a nice touch as well

Bonus points for being fun to drive! :thumbup:

#18 · (Edited)
I still can't get into BMW using the M label on an engine that goes that direction.
I was skeptical too. That's why I'm saying X2 M35i could've been sacreligous product. But one test drive convinced me that this car was worthy of M Performance badge. :thumbup:

Honest question: why does BMW make a CUV that's transverse FWD and another that's the same size but longitudinal RWD?
Good question, actually. BMW X1 and X2 is the result of global product strategy. Subcompact CUVs are hot right now, and BMW had to utilize a cheaper FWD architecture to compete other FWD CUVs like Audi Q3, Mercedes GLA, Lexus NX/UX, and now defunct Infiniti QX something something. BMW X1 and X2 share its powertrain and chassis with Mini Cooper Countryman, and it worked for BMW's product portfolio. I shopped MINI Countryman John Cooper Works against my X2 M35i. X1 sells really well-it's the least expensive BMW CUV in US, and they are selling these faster than MAGA hats at Trump rally. :p

MINI Cooper works well as a CUV-cargo area is massive and rear seats are comfortable for a small growing family. FWD makes development costs lower, hence people that want RWD goodness can still get X3 for thousands more dollars. I shopped for a X3 M40i initially, but just could not see myself making payments for $65K car.

I got the X2 M35i because I like that subcompact dimension. While BMW calls it a Sports activity coupe, it's really a hot hatch like VW GTI. MINI John Cooper Works Countryman was more of CUV, boasting bigger space, but it lacked precise steering of BMW and mini-ness dimension. It just felt too big.

At the end, I am very happy with the decision. :thumbup:

#15 ·
For a runabout DD, spot on. Don't know if I can get past the price though personally. Either way, its not the M235i GC so I approve.

Also, the C-pillar roundrels...I've liked them since the X2 debuted. Its a cool little flourish that would look ridiculous for most other makes, but I think the X2 pulls it off.

#19 · (Edited)
For a runabout DD, spot on. Don't know if I can get past the price though personally. Either way, its not the M235i GC so I approve.
:beer: Funny you mention the M235i GC. I would've bought that if it was a hatchback. I would've just kept the Audi S3, if I wanted a sedan. It's far better looking.

Congrats on the purchase!

Steering feel in a modern BMW? :eek:

Rides firmer than a Focus RS? I didn't think that was possible in a similar car.
Thank you! Yes, the steering feel still exists in some M and M Performance offerings from BMW. X2 M35i has sport suspension and other M bits that make the steering feel nicely weighted and I get good feedback from the road. Or maybe that's the harsh suspension jolts that's coming from the road. :D

Well, you got the typical BMW driver parking down. :D
:D

Reminds me of tall hatch, like the Golf Plus. :p
Yep. BMW calls X2 M35i a Sports Activity Coupe, but don't let the marketing lingo fool you. What we have here is one of these wearing a roundel:

There are a bunch of styling cues I like about this.

- the wheels look good
- the black painted lower trim pieces add some sporty looks
- I dig the emblem on the C pillar
- the painted mirrors are a nice touch as well

Bonus points for being fun to drive! :thumbup:
THIS! :thumbup:

#26 ·
he said this about the MINI Countryman: "MINI John Cooper Works Countryman was more of CUV, boasting bigger space, but it lacked precise steering of BMW and mini-ness dimension. It just felt too big."

#32 ·
This thread needs more:

The way some of you react to someone else's purchase. STFU and go find another thread.

Enjoy the new car Uber. If you're enjoying it then I'd call it a successful purchase. :beer:

#37 ·
Uber Wagon said:
I shopped MINI Countryman John Cooper Works against my X2 M35i.
Did you get the chance to shop your X2 M35i against the latest MINI Clubman JCW? I've seen other people make the same observation that the Countryman felt "too big", and opted for the Clubman instead. On paper, the Clubman performs marginally better than the Countryman, which I believe is attributed to its lighter curb weight and shorter height. If I remember correctly, the X2 and the Clubman are very, very close in performance measurements. For me, the deciding factor between the two would be price, warranty service location, and if you're into MINI's "quirkiness".

Speaking of impeded exterior views, the rear barn doors on the Clubman are fairly obtrusive for checking your six. You'd think MINI would make a button for the rear camera to display while driving to help work around this design feature.

#40 · (Edited)
Did you get the chance to shop your X2 M35i against the latest MINI Clubman JCW? I've seen other people make the same observation that the Countryman felt "too big", and opted for the Clubman instead. On paper, the Clubman performs marginally better than the Countryman, which I believe is attributed to its lighter curb weight and shorter height. If I remember correctly, the X2 and the Clubman are very, very close in performance measurements. For me, the deciding factor between the two would be price, warranty service location, and if you're into MINI's "quirkiness".
I wish there would've been a Mini Cooper Clubman JCW available, but there wasn't any within 700 miles.

I did test drive the MINI Countryman JCW tho. JCW was a fast car, had tons of power, and stout handling. While both X2 M35i and MINI JCW share the architecture, powertrain, and other engineering bits, the two could not be more different. X2 M35i felt more like a hot hatch, akin to VW GTI/Golf R or the previous gen Subaru WRX STI hatch.

Ultimately, MINI Countryman just felt really big (for MIN) and that was its downfall. While MINI Countryman JCW as a lot more useful in terms of cargo and passenger space, but it lacked the immediacy and ferocious-ness of the BMW. At the end of the day, I decided to go for a hot hatch, not a CUV.

Clubman would've solved that issue. But its exclusivity ensured that I couldn't sample one for a test drive.

#42 · (Edited)
Introducing Uber Wagon's 2020 X2 M35i.
I like those, and I'm no SUV/CUV enthusiast. I see this as a hatch that probably shouldn't have rear doors. So leave the rear seats down and you have pretty credible space for junk. C&D got 36mpg out of the lower hp engine.

#43 ·
So how "M" is this car? Is it more like an "M-Sport" package car (a la S-Line) or more like a halfway step between a base and a full performance car (a la S3)?

Also, that trans comes in these? Is it good?

In the land of 2020 "CUV All The Cars" marketing, it looks like a pretty good little daily.

#55 · (Edited)
So how "M" is this car? Is it more like an "M-Sport" package car (a la S-Line) or more like a halfway step between a base and a full performance car (a la S3)?

Also, that trans comes in these? Is it good?
I had a 2016 328 GT (I have penchant for ugly and akward cars) with an M Sport trim. M Sport trim will include cosmetic M elements like body kits, M logos inside and out, and M Sport suspension. It's mainly some cosmetic and suspension upgrade.

Add M Performance moniker, you get performance upgrades like more powerful engine, limited slip differential, and launch control. You also get even more aggressive suspension, steering setup, and other M engineering bits. So models like X3 M40i, X2 M35i, M240i, M235i GC, M340i, and X5 M55i all have M engineering parts and are supposed to give you the essence of M performance without M Money. BMW's M performance models are akin to Audi's S3, S4, and SQ5. Mercedes has its C43AMG, CLA 35 AMG, and GLC43AMG that are similar to M Performance product. X2 M35i really has only one other competition, Mercedes GLA 35 AMG. But that supermodel has gained some weight and now is a lot more like a proper CUV. Last generation GLA 45 AMG was much closer to X2's formula, and it too was much like a hatchback rather than a CUV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_QGqWUsxqg

Transmission is excellent. It's a Aisin-Warner 8 speed. Its shifts are snappy and quick. Most BMWs carry ZF transmission, but this one is quite good, if not better. It's perfectly suited to M35i's character.

In the land of 2020 "CUV All The Cars" marketing, it looks like a pretty good little daily.
:D CUV all things is right. But in some instances, CUV just means it's a tall hatchback with all-wheel-drive. And I like that.

#47 ·
Uber Wagon said:
X2 M35i felt more like a hot hatch, akin to VW GTI/Golf R or the previous gen Subaru WRX STI hatch.
That's seriously useful feedback. I enjoyed my old 2008 STi hatch, but I'm at the age where a nice DCT or automatic transmission is desirable. Next time I'm in the Denver area, I'm going to have to check out a X2 M35i before I settle on a JCW Clubman. Thanks, Uber Wagon!

#48 ·
Congrats on the purchase. I had a regular X2 as a loaner and it was decent enough. I don't have strong thoughts on the layout, but I do think the X2 is much better looking than the X1. Though I feel the exact opposite with the X4 v X3 and X6 v X5. If this is just a commuter car, I'm not sure that it really matters what layout or level of BMW "rightness" you purchase.

#52 · (Edited)
Thank you! This is my first FWD, Transeversly mounted engine BMW. It does not have 50/50 bodyweight distribution, drivetrain is mostly FWD until the slippage occurs.
To many BMW enthusiasts, this is an absolute travesty. I did have some reservations too, but one test drive eleminated my reservations. However, as a DD that can take on occasional track duty, this car is perfect. It works as a commuter too, as long as you can stand the stiff ride.

That's seriously useful feedback. I enjoyed my old 2008 STi hatch, but I'm at the age where a nice DCT or automatic transmission is desirable. Next time I'm in the Denver area, I'm going to have to check out a X2 M35i before I settle on a JCW Clubman. Thanks, Uber Wagon!
Your welcome! If you are in a market for a hardcore performance hatchback, X2 M35i needs a serious consideration. Since Audi ain't bringing S3 hatchback to stateside, this would be a good alternative imho. Also, it's dirt cheap to insure for some reason. It's about $40 cheaper than Audi S3 a month. :eek:

#53 ·
That's a hot hatch all right. I like it.:thumbup:

As far as FWD, so are probably 98% of hot hatches on the road and it works great for their compact packaging. Maybe it's a step back from the euro M140i in that regard, but it has great steering from the platform and it's actually sold here, which is two steps forward. Something something horses mouths.

#60 ·
I just drove it's uglier sibling, M235i GC, at the BMW drive event and was impressed with the performance. Through the autocross course, the instructors said the times were about equal with an M340i.

The identity crisis styling is not for me, but if you're happy... that's all that matters. :beer:

#74 · (Edited)
I just drove it's uglier sibling, M235i GC, at the BMW drive event and was impressed with the performance. Through the autocross course, the instructors said the times were about equal with an M340i.
I seriously would've considered the M235i GC if it had a hatchback. It's actually a lot cheaper than X2 M35i, since X2 is considered CUV. Even though BMW USA website shows 4.7 sec 0-60, journalists are reporting 4.4 sec or better. :eek: It's a fast little car, and it can corner like its big brother M340i for almost $10K less.
On the road, M235i can be tenacious in its grip and be quick once engine gets warmed up. It also has the latest BMW infotainment system, which is a big plus in my book.
I'm glad you mentioned that you liked its performance too. I too was pleasantly surprised. People shouldn't knock it before they drive it. I didn't get it because my S3 looks so much better and did not want to get another sedan.

Gotcha, so it really is more like a S-car than an S-Line trim, with the full M-cars are comparable to an RS model. AW has a good reputation so if the trans is tuned correctly for actual performance driving, I could see it working well.
Bingo. Like I said, X2 M35i is the Audi S3 hatchback that never made onto our shores. To me, X2 M35i and M235i GC feels faster than Audi S3 and VW Golf R. But ultimately Audi grips better around corners. No matter what the layout, Xdrive sucks. I should know, I had 328 GT and now X2 M35i. At least it won't eat tires for lunch like Mercedes 4-Matic.

I'm glad you like it. It looks comparable to the Golf R to me. The title of the post made me think it was a dedicated front wheel drive setup but it appears to be Faux wheel drive, like the Golf.
Question about the sound... Does it have fake engine noises like the Golf? There might be a setting to turn it on when you want it and turn it off when you don't.

The Golf R was my perfect midlife crisis car. If Subaru was selling the STI hatchback I would have considered one of those. I test drove a Focus RS a few years ago but got scared off by the head gasket failures.
Thanks. In a lot of ways, X2 M35i exhibits so much similarities from Golf R and Audi S3. I just wish that X2 had a manuela option, but you can't have everything. :p It is a perfect midlife crisis car. There was a Misano blue one, but I passed since it did not have sunroof for some reason. That blue car would've been even better for my shenanagins.

If you're happy about it, I'm stoked for you! I actually don't mind sport mini-SUVs/hatch things and don't really give a **** if BMW makes a FWD vehicle. Yeah, BMW isn't what it once was, but that's ok. Things change and their goal is to make money, not please a niche set of enthusiasts. Is it kinda sad? Sure.

I'm glad to hear that this thing actually has some steering feel. I was saddened by the last recent BMW that I drove as it felt completely lifeless.
Yeah, I was skeptical at first. Since all my other Bimmers have been RWD. I thought switching to FWD layout will kill my freeway hooliganism, but it didn't. :D I was afraid that X2 was gonna drive a lot like a FWD Toyota Highlander. But it really surprised me-steering feel is all there, and even though not as sharp as E42 3er, it's a lot more communicative than the F30 or G20 3er. It's nicely weighted too, which I really like.

Add to that its tossable subcompact dimensions, and you got a fun weekend car that you can dd all year long.

#63 ·
If you're happy about it, I'm stoked for you! I actually don't mind sport mini-SUVs/hatch things and don't really give a **** if BMW makes a FWD vehicle. Yeah, BMW isn't what it once was, but that's ok. Things change and their goal is to make money, not please a niche set of enthusiasts. Is it kinda sad? Sure.

I'm glad to hear that this thing actually has some steering feel. I was saddened by the last recent BMW that I drove as it felt completely lifeless.

#64 ·
Great looking ride....we went and test drove one a couple of weeks ago and your assessment is spot on, especially about the engine in that thing. It's straight up fast and fun to drive. Looks are definitely subjective on that thing but at least with the M package you get the color matched fender edging and lower side sills which makes a huge difference. Enjoy it man! :beer:

#76 ·
Thanks. The normal X2 is just a fashion statement, but M35i brilliantly overcomes all X2's shortcomings. It's the most powerful four-banger that BMW makes.

Congrats!

Two things surprised me, no xDrive in the M35i?? And no blind spot monitor? Come on BMW :facepalm:
Tell me about it. And this thing really needs it since its rear windows are tiny and C pillar is ginormous. I guess I'll just have to turn my heads more often. :mad:

#73 ·
All M35i's are xDrive. They use a version of the Aisin 8 speed with an M limited slip paired with a multidisk clutch all wheel drive system that's electronically controlled.

I think the biggest drawback of the UKL cars at this point is the lack of top down view, that's what I really miss with the Countryman.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.