Winter Project acquired, it needs loving but it'll be ok - Page 2
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
      I really look forward to reading more about this project. I don't know much about these cars, so this one's gonna be fun.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Nice. The paint looks great in the photos... unless you are going for a color change, I would just get individual parts resprayed as needed to match the factory paint.

I have NEVER, EVER seen a repaint look as good as OEM, including my own cars where I was anal AF. It's so hard to do well... and given where prices of 80s/90s radwood cars are going, this will SURELY be a future collectible. If it already has a million miles and it's already been resprayed, screw it, go nuts.

Also... how does one ever let seats get that bad?! I just don't get it.
      I <3 Weird & Fast. Weirst? Faseird?

IG @ADDvanced
      YT @ADDvanced

In .......... New Paint

Quote Originally Posted by ADDvanced View Post
      Nice. The paint looks great in the photos... unless you are going for a color change, I would just get individual parts resprayed as needed to match the factory paint.

I have NEVER, EVER seen a repaint look as good as OEM, including my own cars where I was anal AF. It's so hard to do well... and given where prices of 80s/90s radwood cars are going, this will SURELY be a future collectible. If it already has a million miles and it's already been resprayed, screw it, go nuts.

Also... how does one ever let seats get that bad?! I just don't get it.

I'll need to detail it to asses the true shape of the paint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T | '12 R 2.0T | '16 R 2.0T | '17 R 2.0T | '18 RS3 2.5T | '13 TTRS 2.5T | '04 R32 3.2 |
      VW/Audi Installation YT Vids: Schwabo

you can install a new antenna seal without dropping the headliner or removing the antenna base. buy the seal, put it in some warm water, and use some plastic trim tools to ease it into place.

mine had crumbled and I did that and took about 5 minutes.
      welcome to the layer cake

Yikes. Yeah that looks worse than your previous photos. Still, doing just those panels would be a hell of a lot easier than pulling all the glass, the door handles, etc.

Looking forward to updates, love R32s.

IG @ADDvanced
      YT @ADDvanced

Quote Originally Posted by n0rdicalex. View Post
      you can install a new antenna seal without dropping the headliner or removing the antenna base. buy the seal, put it in some warm water, and use some plastic trim tools to ease it into place.
      mine had crumbled and I did that and took about 5 minutes.
      could you point me to the part by chance?

Quote Originally Posted by ADDvanced View Post
      Yikes. Yeah that looks worse than your previous photos. Still, doing just those panels would be a hell of a lot easier than pulling all the glass, the door handles, etc.

Looking forward to updates, love R32s.
      Well the rear glass is going to have to come out anyway, the heating elements were cut when they removed tint at some point. All the plastic is so brittle right now .. window controls broke when i got in it lol ... the top trim on the moonroof shattered ... dunno what's going with all the plastic.

I'll put a nice little list of things that are getting fixed, the suspension is wonky. Its going to my buddies shop this week. But it's home and ready to be made better.
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T | '12 R 2.0T | '16 R 2.0T | '17 R 2.0T | '18 RS3 2.5T | '13 TTRS 2.5T | '04 R32 3.2 |

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The dash is common around that vent. They all pretty much look like that in some form.

Is the gauge cluster stuck or the LCD is dead? Check out cluster by litke on Facebook.

He does repairs/upgrades. The color MFA is something popular with the R32 guys. I want to do it but the TT needs the cluster repaired so that's first in line.

The controls breaking is weird. Did the car spend a long time in a high heat area?
      JEMM Auto Detailing: Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, Planes, RVs, Bathtubs, if you pay me I will buff it

John

Quote Originally Posted by Just Another Sweater View Post
      That leather is just horrendous. How does this even happen?

That was fairly normal seat wear when I was looking at buying a car in the early 1980's. Granted these cars had thin cloth or vinyl seats. Some of the dashboards looked like an alligator's back.
      Looks like a bear broke into the car

Here to follow along though! Perfect color for these things and looks good outside,

Quote Originally Posted by SCHWAB0 View Post
      could you point me to the part by chance?
      https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ket/1j0035350/

Quote Originally Posted by audicoupej View Post
      The dash is common around that vent. They all pretty much look like that in some form.
      Is the gauge cluster stuck or the LCD is dead? Check out cluster by litke on Facebook.
      He does repairs/upgrades. The color MFA is something popular with the R32 guys. I want to do it but the TT needs the cluster repaired so that's first in line.
      The controls breaking is weird. Did the car spend a long time in a high heat area?
      It's been like 9 years since I've owned my first R32, I did the LCD repair by myself last year, just a coworker helped with the removal of the screen and putting the screen back on. It won't get done overnight, that's for sure. I will probably just replace the stock LCD for $30, I will fix and try to stick to OEM+ most of the build through. The headliner, seats and suspension will probably take up most of the funds in the first round. Next spring, the rust and repaint is a must. It was a southern car up until last year .. .the last owner got it from Tennessee.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      Looks like a bear broke into the car
      Here to follow along though! Perfect color for these things and looks good outside,
      Yeah it takes really good pictures, up close there's much to be done. I'll be dropping it off to get the seats sorted, then the A pillars and we'll see what the headliner needs. I'll be picking up the small interior bits from ali express, they have OEM VW parts for cheap .

Definitely in for updates. I mk4s.

Poor thing. I feel like you're bringing it back from the brink!
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Yeah it takes really good pictures, up close there's much to be done. I'll be dropping it off to get the seats sorted, then the A pillars and we'll see what the headliner needs. I'll be picking up the small interior bits from ali express, they have OEM VW parts for cheap .
      OEM A, B, and C pillar trim parts are NLA for reference, so might need to rewrap them especially if the fabric is loose (common problem).

Why's everyone hating on the seats? They look MINT (not). Those seats are in poorer condition than some 50 year old cars, how does that happen?

Looking forward to the project!

Cheers
      Milt

Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Congrats and thanks for saving one of these. I have always wanted one but never pulled the trigger.
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.
      Navarra_RS6

IMO strip it down bare, turbo it and beat the hell out of it.
      Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
      Cheapest way to 9s is to buy someone else's 8 second car, then drive it yourself.
      Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
      Elevation down two clicks, windage left two clicks. Send it.

OEM A, B, and C pillar trim parts are NLA for reference, so might need to rewrap them especially if the fabric is loose (common problem).
      I'll have the the guy that does the re-upholstery advise what he thinks is best.

Quote Originally Posted by MiltDoggie View Post
      Why's everyone hating on the seats? They look MINT (not). Those seats are in poorer condition than some 50 year old cars, how does that happen?
      Looking forward to the project!
      Cheers
      Milt
      TY sir!
      Yeah at least the side bolster are amazing and were super comfortable for the 14hr drive LOL. We'll make them better

Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post
      Congrats and thanks for saving one of these. I have always wanted one but never pulled the trigger.
      Thanks man! I almost stopped by your store on Saturday to check out your beast, but was short on time. I'm always running like a chicken without its head when im in Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by Stangy View Post
      IMO strip it down bare, turbo it and beat the hell out of it.
      Let's start slow and do OEM+ upgrades and see the state of the engine and what needs attention first.

Damn, this is going to be a fun project. I am excited to see the adventure. Definitely have a soft spot for the Wookie sounds.

I'm going to shoot you a PM about something.
      Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHamster View Post
      Imagine the B4 Passat as the guinea pig/red headed step child that everyone hates.

How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Nice grab. You don't see many R32's in poor shape, glad you found one to save.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      You take that fake rich sled back to the toothless masses and rub their stupid meth faces in your success. Do it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 1.8tCrayon View Post
      Damn, this is going to be a fun project. I am excited to see the adventure. Definitely have a soft spot for the Wookie sounds.
      I'm going to shoot you a PM about something.
      Tell that to my wife LOL . I'll reply here in a sec.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      Nice grab. You don't see many R32's in poor shape, glad you found one to save.
      You'd be surprised, vast majority are enthusiast owned but the kid, has a friend who's selling his much worse shape for $11k. I think once they reach 5-6 owners, they tend to be neglected.

Meant to ask what you mean with NLA? Hard to get or something else?

Also, found a local guy with tons of parts that I need, shift knob, door handles, switches, etc etc. I'm meeting him hopefully this weekend and I'll buy the whole lot. Dropping the car off at local performance shop owned by a friend (NurTechnik) in Burnsville and we'll see what else they find. The suspension is a bit off to say the least.

On another note, of course I find a well sorted local example for $18k a day after I bring this home .
      Last edited by SCHWAB0; 10-19-2020 at 05:43 PM.

Meant to ask what you mean with NLA? Hard to get or something else?
      no longer available from VW. I meant to buy them a few years ago, but yeah cannot be purchased new anymore unfortunately.

Ha, yeah my dash looked like that in my old Mk4.

Just some random Mk4 thoughts:

Check the rear suspension bushings. Actually. Wait, that is AWD, so I have no idea, but my golf was clunking and it was the rear bushings for the rear control arms and it was a huge PITA to fix. My GF's mk4 had the welded nut snap off inside the subframe for the control arm, so I had to hole saw into the subframe to access it to install new control arms. That was fun.

If your headliners and pillars look bad, peel off the fabric, spray with some adhesive, and wrap in black alcantara. My beetle turbo S had this done it looks fantastic.

IG @ADDvanced
      YT @ADDvanced

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast