Winter Project acquired, it needs loving but it'll be ok
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I found a slightly abused MK4 R32 on Facebook about 6 weeks ago. I was cross shopping R32s and could not find anything under $15k, then this popped up. A young guy was selling his with lots of questionable mods, I reached out and over the course of the last few weeks and we got the car inspected and it was a solid deal. Now the car drives and feels good. I just flew in yesterday and it ended up being even worse in person. The original paint is fading, little rust by the front fenders and clunks from somewhere up front from god knows what. The PPI I've done gave it a clean bill of health .

knowing this thing will be gutted, repainted and supercharged, I wasn't terribly concerned. This will be my project car that I'll get into showroom condition over the next few years.

Now, I'm looking for a barn/storage location for these newly acquired cars. I'm making my drive starting tomorrow morning from Pittsburgh to Minneapolis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T | '12 R 2.0T | '16 R 2.0T | '17 R 2.0T | '18 RS3 2.5T | '13 TTRS 2.5T | '04 R32 3.2 |
      VW/Audi Installation YT Vids: Schwabo

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

congrats. It's got nice RPF1s, and already wired up for a new Infotainment screen (what are those two connectors?). needs a RAZR phone holder and an Audi TT shifter:

Last edited by col.mustard; 10-16-2020 at 11:09 AM.
      praise the lowered
      ¡save manuel!

Originally Posted by George Bluth >>
      It's so obnoxious when VW Golf/Jetta owners comment

ha, saw this on reddit this morning. those seats are destroyed, but should be a fun project.

I've always wanted to add a supercharged BMP R32 to my fleet and keep the DBP R32 pristine/original.
      welcome to the layer cake

Sweet pickup. It's a project, but you obviously knew that going in--I'm sure you're going to have plenty of fun and plenty of frustrations, and will end up with a great result.

Quote Originally Posted by col.mustard View Post
      and already wired up for a new Infotainment screen (what are those two connectors?). needs a RAZR phone holder and an Audi TT shifter:
      Wired up for a new screen, yes. Wired up correctly for a new screen? Hmm...

IN for more. This will be exciting.

Congrats. This will be fun to follow.
      Slow Car Fast

HAH! I actually saw this little gem at the local VW store not too long ago. I was there ordering a cargo liner for my Atlas when it pulled up for what I'm guessing was the PPI. Initial thought was "nice, RPF1's on an R.. looks good." Went for a closer look as I was leaving and well.. oof. Glad its going to a better home and enjoy the ride! Make sure you get a nice primantis cap n cheese before ya leave!
      "keep it between the mayonnaise and mustard"

ford x8 (mustang x4, thunderbird, lightning, svt focus, fiesta st)
      chevy x1 (2500hd)
      vw x2 (atlas cross sport, tiguan)

Quote Originally Posted by SCHWAB0 View Post
      I'm making my drive starting tomorrow morning from Pittsburgh to Minneapolis.
      Oh wow - you found that in my area. Nice!
      Just curious if you picked it up under tat 15k mark.

Seeing what a low mileage r32 just went for on BAT I'll bet you could turn that beater into $$$ if you wanted.

Have a great drive home - the Fall colors in Pittsburgh have been absolutely amazing this year and I'm sure it'll be that way for the entire drive!

Gotta love the paper thin leather on VWs from that era. At least you can save the panel with the .:R badge. Based on the pictures it looks like a great project car, however I'd be very concerned about rust given it's a Pittsburgh car because they use a lot of salt on those roads, but then again it's only got 130K on it so perhaps it was stored during the winters for most it's life?
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Quote Originally Posted by mouseOfMars View Post

Seeing what a low mileage r32 just went for on BAT I'll bet you could turn that beater into $$$ if you wanted.

Have a great drive home - the Fall colors in Pittsburgh have been absolutely amazing this year and I'm sure it'll be that way for the entire drive!
      Couldn't agree more! Seems like the first Autumn in some time it hasn't gotten pretty and then immediately stormed hard enough to knock them all down and be depressing for 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      Gotta love the paper thin leather on VWs from that era. At least you can save the panel with the .:R badge. Based on the pictures it looks like a great project car, however I'd be very concerned about rust given it's a Pittsburgh car because they use a lot of salt on those roads, but then again it's only got 130K on it so perhaps it was stored during the winters for most it's life?
      We like to run out of salt before it actually snows. Welcome to PA.
      "keep it between the mayonnaise and mustard"

ford x8 (mustang x4, thunderbird, lightning, svt focus, fiesta st)
      chevy x1 (2500hd)
      vw x2 (atlas cross sport, tiguan)

Congrats OP - should be a fun project and with some improvements a good investment depending on what you picked it up for.

Damn those seats took it hard though...

Congrats, I love these. Now get it up to snuff.

Funny, I know a guy in Minneapolis that’s thinking of buying a place for guys to store/work on their cars. I’ll let you know if he gets it together.

I have a soft spot in my heart for these first R32’s, especially in deep blue pearl, but I love VR6-engined anything, flaws be damned.
      It’s alive!!!

http://vintageuro.com

Stories, podcasts, and pics of all the good things

As an owner of a supercharged DBP R32 for over a decade I applaud you for getting this and giving it the TLC it needs. Looking forward to updates.

Those poor seats!

Last edited by audicoupej; 10-16-2020 at 02:08 PM.
      JEMM Auto Detailing: Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, Planes, RVs, Bathtubs, if you pay me I will buff it

John

Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room. Metallitubby's Avatar
      Those poor seats.

Geezus.
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

Quote Originally Posted by mouseOfMars View Post

paid 10,500 but it needs a few things sorted. By the time I'm done it'll be a 20-25k.

Need lots of TLC.

Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T | '12 R 2.0T | '16 R 2.0T | '17 R 2.0T | '18 RS3 2.5T | '13 TTRS 2.5T | '04 R32 3.2 |

Quote Originally Posted by col.mustard View Post
      congrats. It's got nice RPF1s, and already wired up for a new Infotainment screen (what are those two connectors?). needs a RAZR phone holder and an Audi TT shifter:

USB connectors for the apps on the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by n0rdicalex. View Post
      ha, saw this on reddit this morning. those seats are destroyed, but should be a fun project.

I've always wanted to add a supercharged BMP R32 to my fleet and keep the DBP R32 pristine/original.
      Hurry up and save one, like I did . This has always been my dream car.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      Sweet pickup. It's a project, but you obviously knew that going in--I'm sure you're going to have plenty of fun and plenty of frustrations, and will end up with a great result.

Wired up for a new screen, yes. Wired up correctly for a new screen? Hmm...
      The RADIO shuts off after every 30 mins lol

Quote Originally Posted by burgerbob View Post
      HAH! I actually saw this little gem at the local VW store not too long ago. I was there ordering a cargo liner for my Atlas when it pulled up for what I'm guessing was the PPI. Initial thought was "nice, RPF1's on an R.. looks good." Went for a closer look as I was leaving and well.. oof. Glad its going to a better home and enjoy the ride! Make sure you get a nice primantis cap n cheese before ya leave!
      it takes really nice pictures . You've seen how bad it is.

Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      yeah it's got some rust, I'll be getting it taken apart and redone this spring.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      Congrats OP - should be a fun project and with some improvements a good investment depending on what you picked it up for.

Damn those seats took it hard though...
      I think I did OK at $10.5k, I could have squeezed him a bit more but it's a price I was comfortable with.

Quote Originally Posted by Veedubgti View Post
      Congrats, I love these. Now get it up to snuff.
      there's a lot of work to get sorted here.

Quote Originally Posted by MylesPH1 View Post
      Funny, I know a guy in Minneapolis that’s thinking of buying a place for guys to store/work on their cars. I’ll let you know if he gets it together.

I have a soft spot in my heart for these first R32’s, especially in deep blue pearl, but I love VR6-engined anything, flaws be damned.
      I'm in tht same boat, rent or buy... we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by audicoupej View Post
      As an owner of a supercharged DBP R32 for over a decade I applaud you for getting this and giving it the TLC it needs. Looking forward to updates.

Those poor seats!

TY man, hope to do my part!

VF supercharged or something else?
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Those poor seats.

Geezus.
      they have some awesome seat covers now haha.
      Quote Originally Posted by oidoglr View Post
      good good!

TY man, hope to do my part!

VF supercharged or something else?

It was a VF stage 3 and still is at its core with the Vortech V2 and piping. It differs from the VF kit with a different intercooler and a Bluewater/UM flexfuel kit. That consists of larger injectors, in-line fuel pump and new tune, which was tweaked by Jeff Atwood several years ago. I finally got a set of cogged pullies from Vito during his final production run. They make a world of difference. No belt slip, less belt tension needed, sound great and the cogs came with a fluidampr crank pulley.
      It’s not going to outrun a tuned RS3 but it’s fun.
      New cams would gain me a little more but my MK1 TT has been drawing down my car funds.

JEMM Auto Detailing: Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, Planes, RVs, Bathtubs, if you pay me I will buff it

John

paid 10,500 but it needs a few things sorted. By the time I'm done it'll be a 20-25k.

Need lots of TLC.

Worth 20k or cost 20k?

The market is strong on low mileage collectors cars but drivers with over 100k aren't too far above what you got it for. Plenty of "needs TLC" examples have come through BringATrailer and struggle to crack 15k. Either way hope the project turns out well for you! Been eyeing an R project for a long while but ended up with a Corrado for now.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...swagen-r32-51/
      https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...swagen-r32-57/
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      Oh mellberg is cool, but his car certainly isn't helping that happen.

You can't look at my avatar for just a second, can you? Just Another Sweater's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Those poor seats.

Geezus.
      That leather is just horrendous. How does this even happen?

That was fairly normal seat wear when I was looking at buying a car in the early 1980's. Granted these cars had thin cloth or vinyl seats. Some of the dashboards looked like an alligator's back.

Quote Originally Posted by mellbergVWfan View Post
      Worth 20k or cost 20k?

The market is strong on low mileage collectors cars but drivers with over 100k aren't too far above what you got it for. Plenty of "needs TLC" examples have come through BringATrailer and struggle to crack 15k. Either way hope the project turns out well for you! Been eyeing an R project for a long while but ended up with a Corrado for now.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...swagen-r32-51/
      https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...swagen-r32-57/
      I'll probably be into it by $20k and it'll probably be worth about $20k, stock unmolested examples pull in high amounts.

I'm not doing for profit, doing it to make it better.

The car lounge

You write well I really like what you write. Thanks for this information.

I love it. One of my favorite cars of all time, right next to the E36 M3 and S2000. These hold value extremely well in my area. Good luck with it! Enjoy.

I'll probably be into it by $20k and it'll probably be worth about $20k, stock unmolested examples pull in high amounts.

I'm not doing for profit, doing it to make it better.

Bless you sir.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast