Tesla cancels its ballsy ‘no questions asked’ 7-day return policy
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Too many people taking advantage due to poor QC new Model Y?

Tesla has removed its ballsy ‘no questions asked’ 7-day return policy that Elon Musk has been pushing as a show of confidence for the automaker.

Over the last few years, Tesla has updated its return policy to enable buyers to return their vehicles within 7 days of taking delivery virtually “with no questions asked”.

This was a great show of confidence for Tesla.

The company wrote in the policy:

“Owning a Tesla vehicle means you are driving one of the most advanced, best performing and safest vehicles available. We are confident that you will feel great about your new vehicle, and so are giving you time to experience and enjoy your new Tesla. Subject to the terms and conditions of this policy, if you are unhappy with your vehicle, you may return it to us within seven (7) calendar days.”

CEO Elon Musk often used the policy in marketing Tesla vehicles to potential buyers:

Elon Musk
      @elonmusk
      ·
      Apr 23, 2019
      New Model S has 370 mile / 595 km range
      Tesla
      @Tesla
      The Longest-Range Electric Vehicle Now Goes Even Farther
      https://tesla.com/blog/longest-range...s-even-farther
      Elon Musk
      @elonmusk
      Can order online in 2 mins for home delivery & return in 7 days for full refund

Tesla literally wrote in its support page for the policy:

“This return policy is intended to give you confidence in your purchase of a Tesla vehicle, and so is in addition to any other rights you may have under applicable law.”

As long as there was no damage to the vehicle and less than 1,000 miles on the odometer, buyers were able to return the vehicle to Tesla for a full refund.

Now sources familiar with the matter told Electrek that Tesla has discontinued the policy last night.

The support page for the policy now redirects to Tesla’s general support page without any replacement policy.

Sources familiar with the matter told Electrek that dissatisfied buyers will now be referred to Tesla’s service department if they express wanting to return a vehicle for whatever reason.

Electrek’s Take

It’s strange for Tesla to make this change without a replacement policy for something that was used to show how confident it was that people would like their vehicles.

It’s also unclear if many people were using it. We know that Tesla made some changes to it over the years to avoid people abusing it, but we don’t know if that’s the reason behind the move to completely discontinue the policy.

Tesla had a lot of quality issues with the Model Y that might have resulted in an increase of the use of the policy, but buyers can always refuse delivery if they are not satisfied of the quality of the vehicle regardless of the return policy, which was more about the experience with the vehicle over the first week.

Normally, we would ask Tesla’s PR department about it, but as we recently reported, it has been disbanded.
      Americans hate EVs because they grew up with Power Wheels that were glacially slow, ran out of power in 20 minutes and took an entire day to recharge.

Trolls ignored: 9

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Why would you even consider buying Tesla if you are returning it after a week, huh

I wonder what percentage of sales actually resulted in a 'no questions asked' return.

Quote Originally Posted by DrivinAW8 View Post
      I wonder what percentage of sales actually resulted in a 'no questions asked' return.
      I doubt that is a figure that Tesla would release. I don't follow main independent Tesla forums closely but I get their summary emails. It is just my feelings that more people are talking about either rejecting their Model Y delivery or talking about returning their Model Y.
      Americans hate EVs because they grew up with Power Wheels that were glacially slow, ran out of power in 20 minutes and took an entire day to recharge.

I'm actually happy to see it go. That policy made it harder for me to take Tesla seriously. Like it's an infomercial or something. "You'll love it or your money back!"

Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      Too many people taking advantage due to poor QC new Model Y?

What is “poor QC”?

Quote Originally Posted by someguy123 View Post
      What is “poor QC”?
      poor quality control

It seemed like something that people would take advantage of. Basically rent a tesla for 7 days, free.
      I <3 Weird & Fast. Weirst? Faseird?

IG @ADDvanced
      YT @ADDvanced

Quote Originally Posted by ADDvanced View Post
      It seemed like something that people would take advantage of. Basically rent a tesla for 7 days, free.
      Setting up insurance, registration, financing, etc seems like a lot more work than just renting a car. Plus Tesla is known for slow returns of buyer’s payments.

Quote Originally Posted by someguy123 View Post
      What is “poor QC”?
      Last edited by spockcat; 10-17-2020 at 01:45 PM.

Sausage King of Chicago Abe Froman's Avatar
      I guess the faithful have no patience for 'Doubting Thomases'

Paging Tommietank
      I unbanned Patrikman.

I also originally banned Zuk & JIMP.

Then I got demoted.

Really find those types of videos obnoxious. I could make a similar video about literally any brand, and it wouldn't get the views or clicks because nobody would care.

IG @ADDvanced
      YT @ADDvanced

Really find those types of videos obnoxious. I could make a similar video about literally any brand, and it wouldn't get the views or clicks because nobody would care.
      I guess if it was the first time that happened to them it would be obnoxious to make a video about it. But they had the door repaired already two times prior to making that video and the same thing is happening again. They should just do a Lemon Law return with it.

They also do have a point that the rear doors have no emergency release unlike the front doors. In case of a power issue, the rear seat passengers cannot exit the vehicle without crawling over into the front seats.

They basically just copied Carmax's policy anyways.
      When you are trying to build a positive market image from nothing, that type of return policy can help.

Normally, we would ask Tesla’s PR department about it, but as we recently reported, it has been disbanded.
      wait, wut?
      Last edited by BRealistic; 10-17-2020 at 03:05 PM.
      Vehicles owned (*=automatic):
      Chevy: 82 Cavalier Type 10, 94 Cavalier Coupe* | Chrysler: 96 Town & Country* | Ford: 73 F100, 88 F150, 18 F150* | Jeep: 78 CJ-5 | Mazdas: 83 GLC, 85 RX7 GS, 86 323, 90 323, 90 B2600i, 92 Miata, 97 Protege, 01 B2300, 01 B3000, 04 RX8 | Nissan: 90 240SX SE | Plymouth: 88 Caravan* | Pontiac: 84 Grand Prix* | Toyota: 84 Celica GTS, 02 Tundra*

There’s nothing obnoxious about the fact they had to have it repaired multiple times. Obnoxious would have been if they complained about it before ever getting it repaired. Or worse, setting it up to fail like most of the click bait types probably do.

Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      wait, wut?
      At the beginning of 2020, people were reassigned or left the company and Tesla simply didn't fill the jobs. All that is left are a few folks arranging for loaners for tests. Per one report I read, Tesla PR basically didn't reply to any journalist who found something they didn't like about the cars.

Pretty sure Tesla would have more videos like this if everyone was into filming their car's problems. My friend returned his brand new Tesla S because windshield seals came of. How many times you've heard that happen on mainstream brand vehicle?

^well, we do have a thread on the top of the forum now about a GM product that shuts off randomly while driving, so...

Quote Originally Posted by texghost View Post
      Pretty sure Tesla would have more videos like this if everyone was into filming their car's problems. My friend returned his brand new Tesla S because windshield seals came of. How many times you've heard that happen on mainstream brand vehicle?
      And a couple of weeks ago, there was an article of a Model Y losing its entire panoroof on the highway the day of purchase because either they forgot to install the seals, or they just failed.

One article I read argued that Tesla cannot go down market and introduce lower cost products. The thought was that the masses have no patience for poor quality no matter the whiz bang technology. Essentially, early adopters and badge buyers are willing to put up with issues since they feel it's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
      poor quality control

Ive also noticed poor spray paint jobs in the door jams of couple co workers models 3's.

Quote Originally Posted by texghost View Post
      Mazdaspeed 6. Guy I know went through 2 transmissions in less than 60k miles

Volvo Allroad, trans MMMm. NO NOM NOM NOM NOM it's on it's 4th transmission and driven by a girl who doesn't beat on it.

B5 Audi: Lol. All of it. Just all of it, great cars to drive but JFC, so terribad.

My point is there are tons of companies that put out stinkers yet because it isnt OmG TeSla FaIL yOulL NeVEr BelIEvE iT! it won't get clicks and nobody cares.

IG @ADDvanced
      YT @ADDvanced

Nah, it takes like a month to order it, etc. would be a massive pain in the ass. Unless you’re like trying to drive cross country and back in 7 days.

Quote Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
      At the beginning of 2020, people were reassigned or left the company and Tesla simply didn't fill the jobs. All that is left are a few folks arranging for loaners for tests. Per one report I read, Tesla PR basically didn't reply to any journalist who found something they didn't like about the cars.
      Waw. Impressive.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

My point is there are tons of companies that put out stinkers yet because it isnt OmG TeSla FaIL yOulL NeVEr BelIEvE iT! it won't get clicks and nobody cares.
      Anecdote is not data. Both Consumer Reports and JD Power have demonstrated using rigorous data collection that Tesla's build quality is terrible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast