Ford Explorer ST? - Page 2
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      You really need to let go of this idea that people should only be allowed to buy SUVs to go offroading, or the general notion that you can dictate what people should or shouldn't buy. I feel like you're still reeling from TCL's rejection of your UrS4 suggestion.

You should have checked out this summer’s Boat Lounge thread.
      2017 Chevy SS | 1977 Trans Am
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by downytide View Post
      https://youtu.be/F48PesABKvg

They'll do 11's without too much mods.

Yeah, I’ve seen some people are making pretty good numbers. An E50 tune only seems to boost things to just about 400 hp to the wheels.

Realistically though, I probably wouldn’t be venturing much into modding at this point.

400whp + 4700lbs = 11s? They really make the most of their HP.... the X5M admittedly weighs a good 500-600lb more, but it has like 150-200 more HP and runs 12s
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

You really need to let go of this idea that people should only be allowed to buy SUVs to go offroading, or the general notion that you can dictate what people should or shouldn't buy. I feel like you're still reeling from TCL's rejection of your UrS4 suggestion.
      Lmao, if people wanna spend more for something slower and handles worse and uses more gas.... .. go for it. I just don't get it. They can reject it all they want, no rejection will change my heart's desire for 5 cylinder awesomness.

400whp + 4700lbs = 11s? They really make the most of their HP.... the X5M admittedly weighs a good 500-600lb more, but it has like 150-200 more HP and runs 12s

I don’t really know about the video posted before, but I’m sure it had more than a tune to run 11s. I’m guessing exhaust, intercooler, maybe some meth. It’s definitely making more than 400 wheel though.

I just meant people are getting to that power with just an E50 tune. No idea what they run with that.

Quote Originally Posted by ADDvanced View Post
      Lmao, if people wanna spend more for something slower and handles worse and uses more gas.... .. go for it. I just don't get it. They can reject it all they want, no rejection will change my heart's desire for 5 cylinder awesomness.

This schtick is well past old now.

I predict significant depreciation on these. Bad buy new, probably a good buy used or off lease. Just don’t get early production.
      Past: 1998 Accord V6 LX, 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 (KIA 2-24-11), 2009 Mazdaspeed 3 (KIA 9-19-11), 2003 Jetta GLS 2.slow (good riddance), 2010 VW GTI, 2011 Toyota Camry, 2006 NC Miata

Looked at one for the wife.

Too small for our needs but its a pretty fun drive for an SUV. A simple tune gets them easily into the 12s in the 1/4 mile.

I think Ford nailed this one. Only complaint is that stupid ipad looking center display
      Boiler Up!

Everything you hate about SUVs is applicable to the UrS4 though. Compared to the other cars people were suggesting in that thread (STI, E36 M3 etc.) it's slower, worse handling and thirstier. And more expensive to keep running as a daily.

This whole contrarian "I got my whole car philosophy from Jalopnik" deal is so corny.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

Quote Originally Posted by dwagner88 View Post
      I predict significant depreciation on these. Bad buy new, probably a good buy used or off lease. Just don’t get early production.
      I dunno. With rental companies being damn near dead, I don't see fleet sales tanking resale. I guess we'll see

Everything you hate about SUVs is applicable to the UrS4 though. Compared to the other cars people were suggesting in that thread (STI, E36 M3 etc.) it's slower, worse handling and thirstier. And more expensive to keep running as a daily.

This whole contrarian "I got my whole car philosophy from Jalopnik" deal is so corny.

K idk why you’re trying to derail the topic by personal attacks but if you think an e36 is faster than an urs4 you have some really good drugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K idk why you’re trying to derail the topic by personal attacks but if you think an e36 is faster than an urs4 you have some really good drugs.

Just pushing back on your gatekeeping. If sports cars can be bought and used for things besides racing and track driving then SUVs can be bought and used for things besides offroading. Not difficult to understand. You choose not to "get it".

Just pushing back on your gatekeeping. If sports cars can be bought and used for things besides racing and track driving then SUVs can be bought and used for things besides offroading. Not difficult to understand. You choose not to "get it".
      Maybe your misunderstanding me. I’m not trying to gate keep. I’m saying I don’t understand the point of this car and I don’t understand who’s buying it.

Anyone interested in handling would be better served by a wagon.

Anyone interested in off-roading would be better served by a 4wd suv.

So who is the target customer?

I just can’t fathom owning any Ford products except perhaps a few Mustang variants and their halo GT super cars. My trust in the brand is low based on my lifetime of accumulated experience.

Really don't understand the point of a RWD SUV. If you want something that handles well, get a car. If you want something you can offroad, RWD kind of sucks... so.... imho this is a crappy offroad vehicle that doesn't handle as well as a wagon/car would.
      It’s for the Ford guy who wants a fast family hauler that can tow a small boat, car, motorcycle or RV travel trailer. The ST model is AWD only, albeit a RWD biased system with a longitudinal mounted V6 engine and an electronicaly controlled transfer case hanging off the back of the 10sp automatic transmission to send power to the front axle.

Only the Explorer base, XLT and Limited models are available in optional RWD only configuration.

Maybe your misunderstanding me. I’m not trying to gate keep. I’m saying I don’t understand the point of this car and I don’t understand who’s buying it.

Anyone interested in handling would be better served by a wagon.

Anyone interested in off-roading would be better served by a 4wd suv.

So who is the target customer?

Lol, wagon? What century are you in? It’s like I’m reading year 2000 Car and Driver talking points in 2020.

We were super close on the Explorer ST. Drove all the Explorer drivetrains and the CD6 platform begs for that engine. We wanted to like the Hybrid, and it was very smooth and silent off the line which was great, but not the same for passing power on the road. Back to the ST though, a vehicle that size, seating 6 or 7, has no business being that fun to stomp on. Very similar to various Durangos in that sense. It can haul the whole family, or 4ft sheets of building material, or tow your Mustang to the track, or maybe a lighter pontoon and also goes like stink when you want it to.

We ended up sizing up but that’s no knock on the ST. It’s great in its niche.

Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
      It’s for the Ford guy who wants a fast family hauler that can tow a small boat, car, motorcycle or RV travel trailer. The ST model is AWD only, albeit a RWD biased system with a longitudinal mounted V6 engine and an electronicaly controlled transfer case hanging off the back of the 10sp automatic transmission to send power to the front axle.

Only the Explorer base, XLT and Limited models are available in optional RWD only configuration.
      Ah ok. If it’s 4wd it makes way more sense. I swear I read it was going to be rwd only somehweee but I haven’t been paying too much attention. Sounds like a good tow rig if that’s the case.

When they first announced it I thought it was ridiculous, but having seen a few and reading some reviews and such I am changing my tune. I would compare it to the X3 M40i as I'd compare the Mustang GT to the M240i. No reason one needs to pay all the markup if they want the capability/performance but aren't interested in fancy touch controls or whatever.

It makes sense in RWD too. Before SUVs like this there weren't ever really 6-7 passenger vehicles that were fast, relatively fun to drive and able to tow ****. Now there are, and people buy them.

Lol @ wagons. The only Americans still buying wagons are those who want to make a statement. Which is fine. But no more logical than buying something like this.

Blog Entries
      The first problem with the Explorer ST, for me anyway, is the explorer at the base. I find it ugly. I vastly prefer the styling of the immediate previous gen version. I'd rather have a the previous gen Explorer Sport.

I got to crawl around an ST when it first came out at dealers. For me, I just thought it was cheap looking. I thought all the things I could see were generally nicer in my jeep srt. I got the distinct impression that the Explorer ST was a trim package with a decent engine. Didn't seem all that performance oriented. And stock for stock, I'll take a 392 over a turbo 6 all day long.

I suppose if I was someone who wanted a performance SUV that's a blank slate for modding, I'd be silly to go with anything else than the ST. I think Ford left a lot on the table. Maybe there will be an RS version?

Lastly, I believe it was MT who did a fairly recent comparo of the ST vs Durango ST. The Durango won. That should say something when an ancient vehicle pretty handily beat out something much newer and modern.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

It makes sense in RWD too. Before SUVs like this there weren't ever really 6-7 passenger vehicles that were fast, relatively fun to drive and able to tow ****. Now there are, and people buy them.

Lol @ wagons. The only Americans still buying wagons are those who want to make a statement. Which is fine. But no more logical than buying something like this.
      IF it's only RWD, you don't want to go to a boat launch or you'll get stuck and have to have onlookers hop in the back of your vehicle and jump up and down while you do a burnout in a desperate attempt to pull your boat out of the water. It also won't tow sleds very well; it'll work on the highway but once you get up north with copious amounts of white stuff, it won't work very well. I sold my RWD truck because it was such **** at towing boats/sleds.

Wagons are for people who enjoy driving dynamics and handling.

IF it's only RWD, you don't want to go to a boat launch or you'll get stuck and have to have onlookers hop in the back of your vehicle and jump up and down while you do a burnout in a desperate attempt to pull your boat out of the water. It also won't tow sleds very well; it'll work on the highway but once you get up north with copious amounts of white stuff, it won't work very well. I sold my RWD truck because it was such **** at towing boats/sleds.
      OK

Wagons basically don't exist in the new car market, and most people don't give a **** about driving dynamics or handling. Everyone doesn't look at and enjoy cars within the Jalopnik hivemind paradigm.

Lol @ wagons. The only Americans still buying wagons are those who want to make a statement Which is fine. But no more logical than buying something like this.
      Yep, if you look closely at the 45-65yr olds I often see driving Alltrack, E-Class and 3er wagons you can see them endlessly scrolling on Jalopnik.
      Last edited by CostcoPizza; 11-07-2020 at 11:53 AM.

We’ve established that the ST is AWD.

Last time I checked, there aren’t any wagons that will tow 5600 lbs.

Are we done?

Quote Originally Posted by Pushrods View Post
      We’ve established that the ST is AWD.

Last time I checked, there aren’t any wagons that will tow 5600 lbs.

Are we done?
      The guy **** on my Explorer thread too don't feel bad.
      2020 F-150 XLT Sport | 302A | SuperCrew | 2.7L EB | 4x4 | magnetic metallic
      2020 Explorer Limited | 300A | 2.3L EB | 4x4 | iconic silver
      USA TRUMP 2020 USA

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast