VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Help finding vehicle for my sciatica

7K views 50 replies 36 participants last post by  gti_matt 
#1 ·
I have a bad case of sciatica with pain down my leg, so naturally I’ve come to TCL. I have a 2018 Subaru Outback and the doctor tells me I need a car with a better seat to alleviate the pain (in addition to exercises and other life changes). The problem with the seat is that when I sit, my hips are lower than my knees. I’m 6’ 2” so can’t raise the seat all the way without my head going through the sunroof. So time to find a different vehicle. It seems like a full size pickup or SUV like a Tahoe or Lexus GX460 would have the most chair like seating so my knees are level with or below my hips. What do you all think? What should I begin looking at? Minivans are out, so let’s not go there.

I’d like to stay under $60k and prefer new or nearly new. Don’t care about gas mileage too much. Mostly do city driving with occasional long road trips. Any suggestions for a vehicle with a comfortable, chair-like seat?

#2 ·
Volkswagen Atlas? It has lots of headroom and legroom. The seats are almost chair height. Delete the sunroof, and you gain another inch or two of headroom.

:beer:

#3 ·
Whenever anyone wants a decent-sized, upright vehicle and it fits in their budget, my recommendation is usually Cayenne. It's not stellar in anything in particular, but it's just a very good all around vehicle. I think $60k should be enough for a pretty choice CPO.

Anecdotal and YMMV, but for years I've had come and go problems with an L5-S1 herniation--lots of sciatica in there--and while admittedly our other cars are small and low and sporty, if my back hurts my first choice is always the Cayenne. Lots of support, upright in the regards to the knees, and more adjustments than I know what to do with.

edit: Actually the seat is so comfortable I once accidentally took a nap while parked waiting for Ms. ghost to finish up at the dentist. :laugh:

#17 ·
This needs to be quoted. An XC60 or 90 would fit the bill.

I was shopping for a GX recently until some work changes delayed my search, and being BoF, it's not as armchair comfy as you'd think. It's comfortable, but not like an XC.

A wildcard is the Pacifica. I know, I know, but I recently took one on an 800 mile one-day round trip and it was the most comfortable car I've ever driven. Literally like sitting in a great office chair. My arms could sit on the perfectly positioned armrests and reach the wheel, my legs were more below me than in front, and the seat was super adjustable and supportive. What a superbly cush vehicle.

I can also attest to the Highlander being extremely comfortable in top trim spec.

Lastly, Lincoln's Aviator has remarkable seats. You just have to take the time to find your ideal position as they're almost comically adjustable.

Good luck!

#6 ·
As someone who suffered from a lot of joint pain after years of abuse from work and sports, I’d recommend the following:

#1) adjust your diet to reduce inflammatory foods (look up AIP diet)
#2) enroll in a good Iyengar yoga class
#3) go for a one hour walk every day if you can
#4) get a vehicle with an electric seat you can make regular small tweaks to position

Good luck! :beer:

#12 ·
I would definitely at least try the 30-way seats in the Continental (probably can find a pretty cheap used one). You can adjust all the bolsters, it has adjustable thigh support (separate sides for each thigh!), etc etc. I can't tell from the video how high the rear part can be raised in relation to the front, but it might be worth a look.

The Navigator and Aviator have them, too, and probably a lower floor/higher seating position.

#13 ·
Lots of great suggestions here. I never would have thought of the Cayenne. I’ll have to check it out. And Volvo’s are a great option. The Lincoln seats are crazy. Also good to know I’m not alone on the pain thing. Sounds like some of y’all have been dealing with your own crap. And good health tips with the anti-inflammatory diet and yoga.

#14 ·
I never would have thought of the Cayenne. I’ll have to check it out.
Definitely worth a look; even if you hate it, at least you still got to visit a Porsche dealership. But yeah a lot of people don't think about it, previously including me. For the longest time I always thought it was just a Porsche for people that just wanted to say they had one, barely worth a second glance. Through a strange turn of events involving dieselgate I ended up owning one, and it's done nothing but surprise me with how it's so comfortable, decent to drive, and never really out of it's element. When it's time to move on I fully plan to replace it with another. :beer:

#18 ·
I would definitely take a look at the VW Atlas/Cross Sport and the Volvo XC90 as stated above. Volvo easily takes the cake for seat comfort and the seat position in the Atlas/CS may work very well for you.

#19 ·
Man, I'm sorry you're going through that. I'm glad you have a budget to deal with it, though. :beer:

One thing I'd be careful with is ingress/egress. I would think that if it makes it difficult to move on some days you don't want something too high or too low, so try to take that into account if it's a concern, even if only occasionally.

#20 ·
Oh very good point. It's not fancy, but the Kia Soul has got to be one of the best in this category. An old guy I used to golf with had one for that exact reason.. door open, sit down. No climbing or falling in, just a natural sitting position.

#21 ·
I'm going to be the odd man out here and say a new vehicle is not going to cure your sciatica. I mean, if you want to buy a new vehicle by all means do so, but it's not the cure. I dealt with sciatica last year for almost 3 months, and I know the pain, it's miserable. I did all kinds of things including dietary changes, trips to the chiropractor, you name it. Finally it was suggested to me to get a deep tissue massage. Let me tell you, it fixed it.....it was a very painful massage, where I was sore for several days after, but it worked and I haven't had a single issue with it since. Again, if you're looking for an excuse to buy a new vehicle I get it, but before you go plop down $60K, make some calls, find the right person who specializes in sciatica and go get this massage done, i'm telling you it works.

#25 ·
I'll second this, finding a skilled and strong massage therapist who works with medical cases (not a spa/relaxation massage therapist) has potential to do amazing things. My massage therapist is amazing, she can and occasionally does kick my ass but keeps my body working well.

Car related: I'll also second Volvo seats, I have never sat in anything as comfortable.

Good luck, being in pain detracts from everything else in life and if a car swap will help, and you can afford it, go for it.

#26 ·
This...
I also had Sciatica episode that lasted 2-3 months. Chiro was of no help, yoga and various exercised did nothing for me. I finally decided to pay for quality Physical Therapy, and on my 3rd visit to PT, he stuck his thumb into my butt cheek, held it there for 2-3 minutes, and i haven't had any pain since. its been 3-4 years now.

But if you are set on getting a new car, my GF has 2010 Range Rover, and seat is elevated enough where my hips and knees are inline.
Alternatively, if your car has ample head room, you can put down pillow(s) on the seat to elevate your hips.

I am sorry about the pain, i know how miserable you must feel.

#23 · (Edited)
I have a bad case of sciatica with pain down my leg, so naturally I’ve come to TCL. I have a 2018 Subaru Outback and the doctor tells me I need a car with a better seat to alleviate the pain (in addition to exercises and other life changes). The problem with the seat is that when I sit, my hips are lower than my knees. I’m 6’ 2” so can’t raise the seat all the way without my head going through the sunroof.
Which trim level Outback do you have? My 2012 Limited had a tilting seat bottom so you could raise the overall height of the seat but then tilt the seat bottom down toward the pedals and that sucker could bring the front of the seat cushion down crazy low, enough to make me slide out of it. Given your price range I'm guessing you are in a Limited or Touring and have those seats, so did they remove the feature or are you just too damn tall? :p

#24 ·
I have all kinds of weird pain, and the main thing that helped me was a lumbar pillow.

That and the BRZ has awesome seats. But the Hpoint is way below the knees and there is a lot going on there.

#27 ·
Volvo has good seats.

GM or Ford anything are terrible.

Higher trim RAM trucks with the air suspension are nice and have great seats. Compared to Lincoln or Cadillac anything.
Chrysler Pacifica and Mitsibishi Outlander with the higher trims have excellent seats.

You can also take door #2 and have your current car's seat professionally reupholstered and put memory foam or whatever you'd like in and it isn't terrible expensive.

#28 ·
We just jumped from a 2017 Outback to a 2020 Ascent and the seating is definitely more upright. :thumbup:

#31 ·
Seating position is just as important as good seats. You need to be in an upright "truckers" seating position for long trips and you need to go to PT and focus on core strength. I cant speak to any more advice on care without more information but i can assure you that what I said will help. If you've already done PT (and not just the PT the surgeon sends you to, good spine focused PT) then I don't really have any more advice than to wish you well and get many opinions before doing any surgical intervention.

#33 ·
My sister has one - I thought about it, but it has had so many problems (one of the techs at their mechanic rage quit his job in the middle of doing the head gasket, lol).

I thought about the smallest Transit or Sprinter but figured it might not be the best to drive day in day out. But the Transit looks pretty much perfect, and the XLT has optional 10-way seats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.